Care and inspection
1. Inspect your order carefully. Indochine Tile will not be responsible for any material that has been installed, installation of material means full acceptance.
2. Store material in a dry area and do not let boxes or tiles to get wet. Moisture or dampness might cause stains, color fades, cracking, pitting or efflorescence.
3. During installation and handling, be careful not to damage the finished surface, edges and corners of the tiles. Carry tiles face to face to avoid scratches.
4. Indochine Tile as a cement-based product may have residues on the tile surface. Before starting the installation, it is highly recommended to use a clean cloth to remove any residues.
5. Indochine Tile, as a product of cement and natural materials, is subjected to color and shade variations and it is highly recommended to mix tiles from the different boxes.
6. Installation must be made over a flat, level, stable and completely cured subfloor. Moisture, water evaporation or excess of water can cause stains, pitting, cracking and efflorescence to appear on the tile surface, this effect is a natural reaction of cement-based products.
7. When installing we recommend to place the center tiles first, then the borders and finally the field tiles that will surround the pattern.
8. Use a high quality thin-set adhesive based in cement, such as a Laticrete or Mapei products. Contact adhesive manufacturer to recommend the appropriate product and Follow manufacturer’s instructions. 3/8” mortar bed is recommended.
9. Make sure that adhesive is applied to the full back of each tile (100% coverage). It is recommended to apply the back buttering to get a better adherence.
10. Do not beat with a mallet or rubber hammer to set tiles, this might cause breakage or form thin cracks that will show up when applying the grout or sealer, perfectly level tiles using hand pressure only, Cement Tiles cannot be polished down. Remove excess adhesive from the surface with a damp cloth or sponge when it is still fresh to avoid any stains.
11. Cement Tiles can be cut using a sharp diamond blade in conjunction with water to avoid the chipping of edges.
12. Allow tiles and mortar bed to dry out completely before starting to seal and/or polish the tiles. Do not cover the tiles to allow breathing and evaporation. Do not step on tiles until mortar bed is dried.
13. For out-doors installations, a roof is highly recommended where Cement Tiles will be installed to avoid color fading caused by direct sunlight, tiles might also be polished with wax for extra protection and repel direct sunlight.
14. After installation, wash floor with a PH neutral detergent. Use a single disc floor machine with a white pad to remove any residues, remove excess dirt and water. Do not use any acids or alkalines to clean tiles.
15. Use a PH neutral cleaner and fine sandpaper to remove any stain or residues. Do not allow water or other liquids to spot, pond or ring on the surface tiles.
Sealing, grouting & waxing
16. Treatments must be done after installation and when tiles are completely dry. It is highly recommended to make a test on a single piece to check the desired finish.
17. Cement Tiles are porous and not pre-sealed. Therefore, sealing with a penetrating sealer is necessary before grouting; we recommend Miracle, Stonetech, Fila and Drytreat sealers.
18. Do not use dark color or dyed grouts unless it matches the color of your tile, as they will cause staining especially in light colors, is recommended using un-tinted grouts, on solid color tiles use grout of the similar color. We recommend making a test in a single piece to see the results before applying it to the complete area.
19. Cement tiles are installed edge to edge with a minimal grout line using un-sanded grout to allow expansion, for large grout line use a sanded grout. Recommended grout joint width is 1/16”-1/8”. Joints should be full and free of all voids and pits. Once grout has been applied and starts to dry, remove excess grout immediately. Do not affix duct tape, gaffer tape or acid tapes directly on to cement tiles surface this can cause discoloration or staining.
20. There are different types of sealers that offer different finishes, matt, enhanced and gloss sheen, if you prefer a glossy finish Tiles can be polished with wax, this process must be done by a professional. Never grind or buff Tiles with an abrasive pad or disc, this process will damage the color surface.
21. After cleaning process has been completed and accepted, it is recommended to re-seal the tiles and grout lines for extra protection, especially in water places to avoid any water filtrations and moisture.
22. For ongoing maintenance, clean regularly with a neutral detergent and buff tiles with a soft white pad, we recommend to add a capful of liquid wax to the water for extra protection.
23. Extremely heavy foot traffic or out-door installations may require additional maintenance. A natural patina will occur as the floor is maintained and wears.
24. The use of properly sized walk-off mats at entrances and sweeping or dust mopping is most important to remove abrasive grit that may cause wear.